User Documentation

Sep 6, 2010 at 1:34 PM

I'm having serious trouble finding any basic user documentation for PowerTab. The "Documentation" section here doesn't say much from an end-user perspective, and unless I'm doing something very wrong, a substantial proportion of the old "PowerShell Guy" posts no longer work. For example, from http://thepowershellguy.com/blogs/posh/archive/2007/01/18/powertab-0-72-powershell-tabextension-part-2-the-basics.aspx:

In this post I will start with working out some basics, and then we add our own GUI about_ help GUI to our tabcompletion !! ) lets first look at the profile after the setup :

ii[tab] $p[tab]

But when I try this, "ii[tab]" doesn't complete. The story is similar with most other examples. All I did to install (the latest) PowerTab was to unpack the zip file in my Modules directory, then Import-Module PowerTab, and then went through the configuration wizard. I'm not aware of anything else I should have done.

Have I missed some important documentattion?

Coordinator
Sep 6, 2010 at 10:58 PM

That feature was made optional a long time ago:

$PowerTabConfig.AliasQuickExpand = $true

Sep 7, 2010 at 1:15 AM

pmoore,

The documentation isn't totally there yet.  I'm hoping to help out on that a little on what you can and can't do with PowerTab.  JasonMArcher replied in another thread with a draft of some of the functionality of PowerTab.

http://powertab.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=223242

It should cover the basics.

In your case you could do

ii@<TAB> $P<TAB>

to get:

Invoke-Item $PROFILE

Hope that helps.

Sep 7, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Thanks, that thread (and in particular, the "cheat sheet" referred to) was very useful. In particular, all the special character options like %, @, and in particular the history completion with #, are very useful - and awfully hard to find out about. Can that cheat sheet be added to about_PowerTab (as you say in the other thread)?

It also seems that my config was somehow corrupt. I went through the wizard again, and it's now a lot better. Is there a way of validating the config (or even just reporting on some basic details - seeing "0 WMI classes" would have started me wondering, if nothing else...)

Paul

Coordinator
Sep 30, 2010 at 3:09 AM

I have added a new usage topic to the help embedded in PowerTab.  Please check out this first draft and leave comments here.

Thanks.