This project is read-only.

Double Quotations Around Path Auto-completions

Apr 5, 2011 at 4:54 PM
Edited Apr 5, 2011 at 5:02 PM

Since installing powertab, I have noticed that I get double quotations around auto-completed path completions. For example, if I type

> cd C:\

and then hit tab twice, and Pick "Windows" from the menu, I get

> cd "C:\Windows"

but then, if I hit tab twice again and pick "system32", I get:

> cd ""C:\Windows\system32""

which, naturally, results in a syntax error when executed. Is there a flag or a setting I can use to get around this? It costs way too much time when navigating directory structures to have to keep removing extra quotation marks from the path name.

EDIT: Just remembered something: the example above is poor, as no quotations are added around paths that do not contain spaces. The error actually arises when at least one of the directories I select from PowerTab have spaces in their names.

Apr 8, 2011 at 3:26 AM

Yes, this is one nasty problem that is still left in PowerTab's quoting logic.  When you continuous completion of paths like that, PowerTab operations recursively.  But this means that each level tries to quote the path, leading to much ugliness.

I know what to do about it and it is on my list.

Apr 8, 2011 at 8:42 PM

I'm not familiar with PowerTab's code base, but if you would be willing to point me in the right direction, I'd be happy to take a crack at fixing it.

Mar 21, 2013 at 4:28 PM
Me too! I like PowerTab, but this bugs me, too. Eagerly awaiting a fix (but not breathlessly, given the timestamps on these posts).

John.
Apr 23, 2013 at 10:46 PM
I have fixed all (or only most?) of these quoting issues. They are in the latest source or the next release after this post. :)
Jun 5, 2013 at 4:51 PM
So... is there a build process, or can I just download the files straight into Modules\PowerTab?
Jun 18, 2013 at 9:49 PM
Just use as-is. No need to build.
Jul 16, 2013 at 10:39 PM
Edited Jul 16, 2013 at 10:39 PM
Sadly, it still no work.

cd c:/program<tab>/com<tab> generates a double-quoted string.

Is there a config entry I need to change?

This is what I did:
  • downloaded source code (from the repository browse view)
  • unblocked the zip file
  • blew away Modules/PowerTab in my profile directory
  • copy/pasted the files from the downloaded source zip into the (now-empty) PowerTab directory
  • moved PowerTabConfig.xml,TabExpansion.xml into a DeleteMe folder (in my profile direcotry)
  • restarted PowerShell
  • got prompted to configure powertab, answered "Y" to all prompts (actually, I answered "Y" to the first two, then "A").
  • restarted PowerShell again