Add additional data in ConsoleHost selection

Aug 17, 2010 at 6:44 PM
Edited Aug 17, 2010 at 6:46 PM

Adding an additional "column" to the ConsoleHost selection window would be very helpful in many situations.  In Particular I'm thinking of Parameter completion.  If the second column had the type of the column, then it would help to know what to put there.  For example knowing that -Name on Get-Process takes a String Array, lets you know you can look for multiple names.  I would suggest to just show it in the console list and not return it to the command line.  I would probably remove System from the type of the parameter since System isn't really required and makes it shorter.

Get-Command Get-Process | % { $_.Parameters.Values } | select Name, @{n='ParameterType'; e= { $_.ParameterType -replace '^System\.', ''}} | fl Name, ParameterType

Name          : Name
ParameterType : String[]

Name          : Id
ParameterType : Int32[]

Name          : ComputerName
ParameterType : String[]

I haven't looked how hard it would be to implement, but it there have been times I wished I could see the info.

Coordinator
Aug 19, 2010 at 4:38 AM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Coordinator
Aug 19, 2010 at 5:00 AM
I have really wanted to do this for other reasons as well, this gave me enough motivation to move it to the top of the list. :)
Aug 19, 2010 at 5:08 AM

Very nice.  Just gave it a try and it's already nice to have the extra info.